NEW DATES SET FOR LOCAL COUNCIL NOMINATIONS AS GOVERNMENT NAMES NEW COVID-19 HOTSPOTS
Nominations for candidates contesting for Local Government council elections has been extended from 7th and 17th September to 21st September and 1st October, the Minister of ICT and NG , Ms. Judith Nabakooba has announced .
While addressing the media today , Nabakooba said that the extension will enable the Electoral Commission to finalise with the demarcation process for all the new constituencies that were passed by Parliament recently. These include 46 counties, 10 new cities, one new district and 5 parliamentary seats for older persons.
“The demarcation involves reorganizing polling stations, processing data, sensitizing masses and re organizing some of the electoral activities. Candidates are still reminded to obey the existing COVID-19 campaign guidelines issued by the Electoral Commission. This also includes other guidelines like respecting each other’s campaign posters and agents,” Nabakooba said while noting the unfortunate incidents in Koboko where rival supporters pulled down campaign posters of candidates and engaged in street fights .
The new Covid-19 Hot spots
Government has expressed concern of the rapidly increasing cases of Covid-19 in Kampala city the districts of Masaka, Buikwe and Adjumani. Other high risk places include markets and landing sites.
Due to the rising number of deaths related to covid -19 now standing at 14, Nabakooba said government will be compelled to ask all districts and municipalities to put in place contingent plans to buried people who succumb of the deadly coronavirus . “ If the number of COVID-19 deaths continues at this rate, government will soon ask all districts and municipalities to identify designated burial places to handle the dead,” she stressed.
The Minister said that in order to scale up the level of prevention, government is calling upon all district and regional task force committees to embrace more stakeholders in their activities.
Security forces including the police are going to be more vigilant towards enforcing the directives such as wearing of masks in public, social distancing and others.
So far a total of 2,970 Ugandans who were stranded abroad due to the covid-19 pandemic travel restrictions have been returned home from different parts of the world. This will go on until the 25th of August when government will take another short break to decongest quarantine centers.
- President Museveni signs Anti- homosexual law as America , Britain revokes Speaker Among’s visas - May 29, 2023
- OWNERS AND MANAGERS OF PRIVATE SECURITY ORGANIZATIONS COMPLETE COURSE IN STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP, THANK ISO FOR SECURITY PARTNERSHIP - May 29, 2023
- Uganda Airlines to fly Ugandans at reduced prices to mark heroes day - May 29, 2023